January 17, 2018, 05:02:03 PM
Hello Guest
 [***REVIEW***] iRULU Victory V3 6.5" Unlocked (LP 5.1) GSM - T-Mobile / ATT / ++

November 10, 2015, 08:43:30 PM
Read 2999 times

Offline iunlock

iRULU Victory V3 - Phone Review

Intro:
For a phone under $200, the price point alone puts the V3 in its own category. Before receiving the phone, I had thought that I needed to keep that sub $200 marker in my head at all times to prevent myself from getting disappointed. Well, now that it's here, in my hand and upon getting a chance to examine the device, the $200 dollar handicap is something that has turned itself around to be the complete opposite. Now I'm sitting here scratching my head asking myself the rhetorical question, "Was this really only $200?" To be fair, the reliability of the device has yet to be determined, but if you don't treat your phone like football, it should be just fine.

There are a lot of things going for the V3...Pretty much all of it being a PRO vs being a CON due to the price tag.

Two choices:

8GB w/ 1GB of RAM or 16GB w/ 2GB of RAM. The 8GB variant is board-line, "why bother...." so I won't be talking about that one. All the V3's that I've ordered are all the 16GB / 2GB models.

Design:

Size wise, the phone is a beast and rightfully so for it having its 6.5 inch screen real estate. I was quite surprised with the screen to bezel ratio, which is pretty good, but keep in mind that with this being the only 6.5" phone around, there's nothing to compare it with except the 6.0" phones that are currently available. As for everything else, it's pretty traditional with the cookie cutter candy bar design that LG has revolutionized. The V3 has a lot of LG influences and feel to it. If you were to slap a LG badge on there and showed people, most wouldn't be able to tell. (From the looks of it that is....not the quality as LG is a much higher quality of a device.)

On top there sits your headphone jack and what appears to be an IR Blaster? Or maybe it's a sensor of some kind? At the bottom is your mic and USB 2.0 slot. Both power and volume buttons are all on the right side of the phone.

Weight: 191 g (For comparison the Note 4 is 176 g) However, the V3 actually feels lighter. Maybe it's because the weight is distributed across a larger surface area...

Thickness: 8.9 mm (For comparison to the Note 4 at 8.5 mm) The V3 feels about the same as the Note 4...We're talking 0.4mm's here haha, but the overall feel is about the same and maybe even thinner (feel wise) with the V3 since it's bigger with a slight curve on the edges.

The rear cover is of this soft touch rubber like matted material that feels quite nice. I'm actually a big fan of it...

The metallic painted plastic trim around the phone is very decent for what it is almost on par with the plastic trim on the Note 3.

The speakers are located on the rear of the phone like our Note 4's and they sound pretty darn good. When first turning on the phone it plays this short music clip that is pleasing to the ears and the first time I've heard it, what stood out was the fact that it didn't sound tinny or metallic.

Specs:

+ 6.5 Inch HD IPS Display
+ Qualcomm SnapDragon 1.2GHz A53 Quad Core SoC
+ Qualcomm Adreno 306 @ 400 MHz
+ 16GB Internal Storage
+ 2GB of RAM
+ 13MP Rear Camera (Auto Focus)
+ 5MP Front Camera
+ 3000mAh Battery
+ Android 5.1

Removable Battery: YES
SD Card Slot: YES
Dual SIM Slots: YES
Unlocked: YES (T-Mobile / ATT / Other GMS Carriers)

US Mobile Frequency Band(MHz):

GSM [Band5]850(MHz) [Band8]900(MHz) [Band3]1800(MHz) [Band2]1900(MHz)
WCDMA [Band5]850(MHz) [Band4]1700(MHz) [Band2]1900(MHz)
FDD [Band2]1900(MHz) [Band4]1700(MHz) [Band5]850(MHz) [Band7]2600(MHz) [Band17]700(MHz)

Screen:

You know....not too shabby....not too shabby at all. It's basically the LG IPS LCD (16M colors etc...) from the LG G Vista screen, but at 6.5 Inches. If you're familiar with the LG G Vista, it's a pretty decent phone for its price range. I've played a couple videos on YouTube and loaded up a 2.5GB movie on it to experience what it's like on the big screen of this phone and boy does it make a difference having more screen LOL...Although it's a given, but phone does serve its purpose well on the entertainment side of things.

As for the actual glass of the phone, it doesn't appear to be a gorilla type of glass, rather just a regular slate of non tempered glass. However, it does come with a screen protector if you wish to put that on. I'll probably install mine tomorrow.

Note: The movie was scaled....

Speaker:

It's not the loudest, but it's not tinny or metallic sounding like most smartphones. I am quite surprised at the balance the sound has for it being a phone ~$200. Not too shabby at all...

User Experience:

Android 5.1. The UI is very clean and simple. There's not much going on with it, but that's what after market launchers are for eh? I must say, the phone is pretty darn quick too...The recent menu is literally 1:1 without delay. It's faster than my Note 4 LOL...no joke. This could very well be that it's on Lollipop 5.1, which is obviously faster than KitKat in general when it comes to RAM management, thus allowing little things like the recent menu button to perform faster than the previous generation of software... Scrolling around, opening apps, and doing real world tasks really made me raise my eye brows in astonishment. The phone just feels very light and it is as there's no evidence of any heavy bloatware from third party companies.

When typing the keyboard is perfect. I absolutely love the size of the keyboard layout. The phone is just big enough to where it doesn't seem like you're holding a tablet, but at the same time the ergonomics of how it feels overall is right at that sweet spot of being the right size. Anything bigger in screen size would be too much in my opinion. 6.5" may be that perfect marker for the Note 7? LOL... 

How is it only $200?

There's an obvious answer to this, but let me get deeper into the, "behind the scenes," of what's going on here. iRULU is a company based out of San Jose that was able to put together a company, hiring a company in china to assemble their products, while being fortunate enough to have the funds and backing to get Samsung and LG to supply the raw materials for their phones / product line. However, they are an online only company, which saves them a lot of money without dealing with the overhead of retails stores, employees etc...

Their business model is to target the low to mid range phone/tech market as oppose to Apple who has a similiar business model to target the high end market. The only difference here really is the quality of product and the overall business structure. Other than that, it's pretty much a cookie cutter concept that is looking to be successful so far.

Samsung and LG supply the parts -> the product is assembled in china -> then sold for a premium price to the world. This is Apples formula.

The only difference here is that the materials Apple receives from Samsung and LG are of much higher quality. iRULU on the other hand isn't out there to target the high end market, though with their strategy of creating a 6.5" beast of a phone to role solo in that category is a pretty smart move, although their phones are not of Apple quality when it comes to the material or parts.

However, they are able to offer what people want at a price that is just insanely low, so regardless of the lesser quality of materials used, when you're paying only $200 or less for a phone that can get the job done for what it is....what are you really losing? Really nothing. iRULU is out to get volume and with their low price strategy, they will. So at the end of the day, they can sell 1000 phones and make the same profit as a big name brand selling 100. It's just a numbers game, but it does obviously come at a cost that can register as being a pro for many or a con for others. (Quality wise.)

This is not to say that iRULU quality is poor, but it is to say that the choice of materials used can be evidenced when comparing it to Samsung or Apple. Even the screws used on the back side are noticeably cheaper looking than the big brands. Again, for >$200 all this is MOOOOT. Doesn't apply....

Okay, now the obvious answer to all the cutting of the corners to keep the cost down. As mentioned this is not designed to be a high end device, therefore, it is clear that iRULU focused on putting money toward the things that really matter, rather than towards the things that really don't. For example, the charger block itself looks like something you would get from a dollar store. As for the cable, it is also a dollar store piece of wire that is that is only a whooping 2 feet long LOL. The head phones...good gosh....you know them cheap headphones you'd get on a cheap airline that serve peanuts? Well....there you go. But wait! It has a luxurious volume control tab thing...ooooo...fancy....

With all jokes aside, who gives a rats! Who cares about the darn headphone or charger unit when you're paying >$200....I'm glad iRULU didn't' put money into this area, but instead into the phone itself. Smart move...

Would I recommend buying the phone?

Yes, especially If you're wanting to satisfy that, "new toy," craving and/or am wanting the biggest screen size phone that money can buy. The good news is, that it won't break the bank to obtain one. For less than $200 this phone is an absolute steal. No it's not your Note 7 or your LG G7 Pro, but it's not suppose to be and was never intended to try and be that.

Final Thoughts:

Honestly, I don't need more phones LOL...so I hope that really sets it in stone that my review is not bias in anyway. If you don't know already, I also do not favor chinese made phones, but given the circumstances of this company being based in San Jose and with the parts being supplied by Samsung and LG, I feel better about supporting an American company with parts from S.Korea, although it's assembled in china. The only reason I've bought 5x V3's was due to the price and it's screen size. That's it. Ok well and the dual SIM support, which is very useful for me given that I have many lines on our business account. Of course there's the love of technology and being a tech fanatic that made me jump on it right away too. (Thanks Mega for the heads up on this cheap beast LOL.)

The bottom line is, if you're wanting a phone with a bigger screen size of more than 6 Inches, this is absolutely a no 'brainer' for the price. Just get it. There is nothing to think about. If the screen size is what motivates you in a phone, hands down this is your choice. In fact, it's your only choice in the 6.5" category. If you're just wanting a toy to carry you over until the Note 6 launches next year in the Q3 of 2016, the V3 would also make for an excellent candidate to curve your appetite. (Granted we get what we want in the Note 6 LOL, but you get the drift...)

I plan to use the V3 for 2 of my lines for giggles. One line is ATT the other is TM all in the same phone. No more having to carry around two phones. I'll also be using it to watch movies and to display my stock charts, which I've been using a Note 4 and recently the V10 as an additional screen when doing my business when traveling. In fact, I'll use it as my main GPS for my car...heck...all this is worth more than a measly $200 in itself.

Last but not least, it would make for one heck of a TV remote for my smart TV's if that little thing on top is indeed an IR blaster.

I hope you've enjoyed the quick review and please excuse any typos as I've written most of this from my phone so that I can upload the pictures at the same time from my N4. Also if you're considering one, I have two up for grabs in the classified section. Cheers.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:07:31 AM by iunlock »
-T---Mobile- USA | (((Fastest LTE+))) DOWN @ 128.99 Mb/s / UP @ 26.93 Mb/s
Note 4 [Powered by: FireKatN4 Deodex V21x w/ Stock Kernel + TouchWiz!] = 51,322 AnTuTu! | 27,583 Quad (100% Stock!) | 9.5+ Hours On Screen Time |

November 10, 2015, 09:19:05 PM
Reply #1

Offline Zug

Yeah not bad. Though should maybe toss link in OP so others can check it out so don't have to fish for it in the gen chat lol

Sent from my non-Mega rom'd v10 H901

Zug

LG V10 - Waiting on Mega's lovin
Note 4 on FK
Note3 on FK
Note Pro 12.2 Wifi on FK
Crap load of older ones!! :)

November 11, 2015, 02:04:28 PM
Reply #2

Offline butchieboy

Im really interested in this device. To cure that desire for something new. Cant afford the V10.

GT-I9205 MegaKatV44

November 11, 2015, 03:07:54 PM
Reply #3

Offline Zug

Im really interested in this device. To cure that desire for something new. Cant afford the V10.

GT-I9205 MegaKatV44
Why not. Cause don't want to get att on next? I'm not regreting swapping to tmo so far

Sent from my non-Mega rom'd v10 H901

Zug

LG V10 - Waiting on Mega's lovin
Note 4 on FK
Note3 on FK
Note Pro 12.2 Wifi on FK
Crap load of older ones!! :)

November 11, 2015, 03:14:04 PM
Reply #4

Offline butchieboy

Yeah dont wanna do the Next..plus I have 3 devices already with that screen size

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

November 11, 2015, 03:15:27 PM
Reply #5

Offline butchieboy

Im just sticking with At&t..as much as I bitch about them my Direct Tv is bundled with them as well as internet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

November 11, 2015, 04:06:37 PM
Reply #6

Offline butchieboy

So I see this post that Mega posted in the General chat today about this phone....More over the screen size, for me it was the price tag of $159. I go to the website and see that there are two models, an 8GB and 16GB with three color choices.

8GB - $159 + Free Shipping
16GB - $189 + Free Shipping

I've ordered the 16GB version, received a confirmation email and says that it'll ship within 1 business day.

Once I receive it I'll do an honest review....
Dang you padlock..now I want one..lol

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

November 11, 2015, 04:25:31 PM
Reply #7

Offline gregma

So I see this post that Mega posted in the General chat today about this phone....More over the screen size, for me it was the price tag of $159. I go to the website and see that there are two models, an 8GB and 16GB with three color choices.

I've ordered the 16GB version, received a confirmation email and says that it'll ship within 1 business day.

You know you're going to get one.  Might as well just get it over with!  lol
--Greg

TWO Violations

TMobile - Note 4 [Powered by: PopRocks Rom V14XxXR: TW Rom Based On Tmo Stock LP Base Cod6: Extreme Speed/Snappiness/Battery Efficient]
TWRP Recovery

November 11, 2015, 05:02:31 PM
Reply #8

Offline megalomanic14

You know you're going to get one.  Might as well just get it over with!  lol
Lmao I'm inclined to agree given the circumstances lol

Mega

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

November 11, 2015, 05:23:29 PM
Reply #9

Offline iunlock

Guys hang tight I'll have some for sale soon....