April 23, 2018, 10:44:50 PM
Hello Guest
 Samsung Galaxy Gear S

October 05, 2015, 02:50:28 PM
Read 8900 times

Offline gregma

Samsung Galaxy Gear S
« on: October 05, 2015, 02:50:28 PM »
Well, thought I'd try to start a topic anyway on the Gear S, since it's experiencing an explosion!  LOL  Just ordered mine and should get it this week.  I've been looking at screen protectors and just ordered one at Amazon, hopefully it'll be ok.  Also have seen some stainless steel bands that look awesome!  Anyone happen to know if the watchband is 22mm?  Is it the same as the Gear S2?
--Greg

TWO Violations

TMobile - Note 4 [Powered by: PopRocks Rom V14XxXR: TW Rom Based On Tmo Stock LP Base Cod6: Extreme Speed/Snappiness/Battery Efficient]
TWRP Recovery

October 05, 2015, 03:04:10 PM
Reply #1

Offline Zug

Re: Samsung Galaxy Gear S
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 03:04:10 PM »

Well, thought I'd try to start a topic anyway on the Gear S, since it's experiencing an explosion!  LOL  Just ordered mine and should get it this week.  I've been looking at screen protectors and just ordered one at Amazon, hopefully it'll be ok.  Also have seen some stainless steel bands that look awesome!  Anyone happen to know if the watchband is 22mm?  Is it the same as the Gear S2?

I believe the s2 is slightly slimmer than the s1.  And if asking if s1 and s2 would be the same (for both) pretty sure answer is no for sure

I haven't ordered a screen protector.  Mega says he has abused his a bit and no scratches.  Be interested to see your thoughts once you get it on if it effects responsiveness

From my Fired up N3

Zug

LG V10 - Waiting on Mega's lovin
Note 4 on FK
Note3 on FK
Note Pro 12.2 Wifi on FK
Crap load of older ones!! :)

October 05, 2015, 03:07:45 PM
Reply #2

Offline gregma

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 03:07:45 PM »

I believe the s2 is slightly slimmer than the s1.  And if asking if s1 and s2 would be the same (for both) pretty sure answer is no for sure

I haven't ordered a screen protector.  Mega says he has abused his a bit and no scratches.  Be interested to see your thoughts once you get it on if it effects responsiveness

I should get them about the same time, so I'll definitely post pics and let everyone know about the protector.  I've been looking around and have seen that the band itself might be the same size on both the S and S2.  I'm hoping that's the case, because there is a Stainless Steel band on Amazon for $18.00 for the S2.
--Greg

TWO Violations

TMobile - Note 4 [Powered by: PopRocks Rom V14XxXR: TW Rom Based On Tmo Stock LP Base Cod6: Extreme Speed/Snappiness/Battery Efficient]
TWRP Recovery

October 05, 2015, 04:21:34 PM
Reply #3

Offline Zug

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 04:21:34 PM »

I should get them about the same time, so I'll definitely post pics and let everyone know about the protector.  I've been looking around and have seen that the band itself might be the same size on both the S and S2.  I'm hoping that's the case, because there is a Stainless Steel band on Amazon for $18.00 for the S2.
Your issue is how the band go on.  The band on s2 is almost like a normal watch where the one on the s1 is 1 piece and the face pops in and out.  So if you ordered one for an s2 I think you might be returning it

From my Fired up N3

Zug

Note 4 on FK
Note3 on FK
Note Pro 12.2 Wifi on FK

October 05, 2015, 04:32:55 PM
Reply #4

Offline gregma

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 04:32:55 PM »

Your issue is how the band go on.  The band on s2 is almost like a normal watch where the one on the s1 is 1 piece and the face pops in and out.  So if you ordered one for an s2 I think you might be returning it

Haven't ordered anything yet.  Yeah, there are adapters out there that allow you to snap in the Gear S, and then add any 22mm band.  Really difficult to find them though as it seems that accessories are drying up for the S with the S2 now out.  Oh well.  With TMO Jump, I can upgrade to the S2 and get full credit for my S.
--Greg

TWO Violations

TWRP Recovery

October 05, 2015, 06:58:26 PM
Reply #5

Offline Zug

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 06:58:26 PM »
yeah,, till we get the reviews, not sure the s2 will be full replacement for a while.. the screensize on teh s2 is a lot smaller and for someone like me with larder hands, its more of a pain, there are a few nice features of the s2 like turning the bezel to change screens/zoom in and out, and so on, but right now i think the S is the one to go for for now.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Zug

Note 4 on FK
Note3 on FK
Note Pro 12.2 Wifi on FK

October 05, 2015, 06:59:10 PM
Reply #6

Offline Zug

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 06:59:10 PM »
that is if you want the standalone capability that is.. until they release the S2 3G..  but with the S you can swap sims where the S2 it looks like you won't be able to as o f now.. but im not 100% certain on that

Zug

Note 4 on FK
Note3 on FK
Note Pro 12.2 Wifi on FK

October 05, 2015, 07:14:05 PM
Reply #7

Offline megalomanic14

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 07:14:05 PM »

the screensize on teh s2 is a lot smaller and for someone like me with larder hands, its more of a pain,

There are a few nice features of the s2 like turning the bezel to change screens/zoom in and out, and so on, but right now i think the S is the one to go for for now.

This is my biggest concern tbh...my favorite feature of gear s is the screen because what it allows you to actually be capable of doing like texting ect...where more than a half inch smaller screen means no full kb...it uses the old t9 style which is gross to use imo...stuff like that is what's bugging me regardless that I like the style of the classic...I hadn't planned on mine replacing my s but only using the classic occasionally for me personally

Mega

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

October 05, 2015, 07:54:30 PM
Reply #8

Offline Zug

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 07:54:30 PM »

the screensize on teh s2 is a lot smaller and for someone like me with larder hands, its more of a pain,

There are a few nice features of the s2 like turning the bezel to change screens/zoom in and out, and so on, but right now i think the S is the one to go for for now.

This is my biggest concern tbh...my favorite feature of gear s is the screen because what it allows you to actually be capable of doing like texting ect...where more than a half inch smaller screen means no full kb...it uses the old t9 style which is gross to use imo...stuff like that is what's bugging me regardless that I like the style of the classic...I hadn't planned on mine replacing my s but only using the classic occasionally for me personally

Mega

i think most will have to resort to voice typing, using s-voice more often to type out their messages and such.. but yeah,, that was one of the things that made me go with S over the S2 myself.. the size is just so much smaller for my hands to type it on.

dont get me wrong, i thin kteh s2 looks good, just for what would use it for and all, i dont think you can really go smaller for these

Zug

Note 4 on FK
Note3 on FK
Note Pro 12.2 Wifi on FK

October 05, 2015, 07:57:35 PM
Reply #9

Offline megalomanic14

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 07:57:35 PM »

Mega

i think most will have to resort to voice typing, using s-voice more often to type out their messages and such.. but yeah,, that was one of the things that made me go with S over the S2 myself.. the size is just so much smaller for my hands to type it on.

dont get me wrong, i thin kteh s2 looks good, just for what would use it for and all, i dont think you can really go smaller for these

Yea I def agree...I honestly didn't think it was going to be that small...that's the thing like n5 ...looking cool and being practically functional are so far apart in that watch it makes it really tough to think about how I would do the normal stuff I actually do...a lot of which revolves around the ability to type and use the touchscreen...I'm gonna have to get some time with a working non demo unit to see I think but for the price it just gave me a little...yikes feeling lol

Mega

Sent from my LGL23 using Tapatalk

October 05, 2015, 08:00:03 PM
Reply #10

Offline Zug

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 08:00:03 PM »

Mega

Yea I def agree...I honestly didn't think it was going to be that small...that's the thing like n5 ...looking cool and being practically functional are so far apart in that watch it makes it really tough to think about how I would do the normal stuff I actually do...a lot of which revolves around the ability to type and use the touchscreen...I'm gonna have to get some time with a working non demo unit to see I think but for the price it just gave me a little...yikes feeling lol

Mega

yeah.. thats kind of how i felt when i went in and held it.. it was just so small of a screen for me.. just made me realize that the S was for me

Zug

Note 4 on FK
Note3 on FK
Note Pro 12.2 Wifi on FK

October 05, 2015, 10:43:31 PM
Reply #11

Offline megalomanic14

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 10:43:31 PM »

Mega

Mega

yeah.. thats kind of how i felt when i went in and held it.. it was just so small of a screen for me.. just made me realize that the S was for me

Man thinking about that...350 is a ton of money for a Bluetooth only device that's that small to be stuck with a t9 keyboard and stuff...that's kinda bumming me out about the s2

Mega

October 06, 2015, 12:48:55 AM
Reply #12

Offline iunlock

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 12:48:55 AM »
Yea the S2 is small and for me I wanted it more so for the "watch," part and for the pedometer for working out. Had I had the need for picking up calls and being able to talk via the watch, I would have opt for the S1 over the S2 3G.

Design wise, the S2 IMO is the best looking watch to match that of a traditional watch. It's awesome.

I really want the Classic S2 though for the design and the functions to me is just bonus as it'll do everything that I need it to do.

Smart watches are awesome....and it's nice there's many different ones to fulfill all type of needs.
-T---Mobile- USA | (((Fastest LTE+))) DOWN @ 128.99 Mb/s / UP @ 26.93 Mb/s
Note 4 [Powered by: FireKatN4 Deodex V21x w/ Stock Kernel + TouchWiz!] = 51,322 AnTuTu! | 27,583 Quad (100% Stock!) | 9.5+ Hours On Screen Time |

October 06, 2015, 09:44:54 AM
Reply #13

Offline gregma

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 09:44:54 AM »
yeah,, till we get the reviews, not sure the s2 will be full replacement for a while.. the screensize on teh s2 is a lot smaller and for someone like me with larder hands, its more of a pain, there are a few nice features of the s2 like turning the bezel to change screens/zoom in and out, and so on, but right now i think the S is the one to go for for now.

That's what I'm afraid of also with the smaller s2.  Heck, I'd need a microscope to see the teeny letters!
--Greg

TWO Violations

TWRP Recovery

October 06, 2015, 09:46:48 AM
Reply #14

Offline gregma

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 09:46:48 AM »
that is if you want the standalone capability that is.. until they release the S2 3G..  but with the S you can swap sims where the S2 it looks like you won't be able to as o f now.. but im not 100% certain on that

That is such a stupid idea!  What if you are going overseas and need to buy a local SIM?  How are you going to be able to switch carriers?  I'm thinking the idea was to increase water resistance (a lot of the watch damage from water ingressed through the SIM opening,) they could come up with a more waterproof solution.
--Greg

TWO Violations

TWRP Recovery