April 23, 2018, 10:38:46 PM
Hello Guest
 [Cases] What do you keep your phone in?

October 07, 2015, 09:00:54 PM
Read 3197 times

Offline Phone

[Cases] What do you keep your phone in?
« on: October 07, 2015, 09:00:54 PM »
I'm trying to find some great cases phone my Note 4, currently using the Tech21 Impact Tactical Case (http://www.amazon.com/Tech21-Impact-Tactical-Samsung-Phones/dp/B00Q6D7ICI) since the reviews seemed good and the price seemed fair. The main thing I don't like about it is how the buttons feel, they're too mushy. Other than that though, it's a pretty great case. I was thinking of getting a Spigen case with a kickstand since I has a similar case for my Note 2, but some of the reviews mention scratches on the metal around the phone. Maybe I'll just get a TPU Cruzerlite case like the one I'm currently using on my Note 2, it's saved my phone a couple times already, plus the buttons aren't mushy since they aren't covered. What's everyone else currently using on their phones?

October 07, 2015, 09:54:28 PM
Reply #1

Offline LfnsR

Re: [Cases] What do you keep your phone in?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 09:54:28 PM »
I have been using the Sedio Dilex for my last 2 notes. Great case!

Sent from my Note 3 powered by FireKat via Tapatalk!

Sent from a black slab...

October 07, 2015, 10:53:48 PM
Reply #2

Offline Scrappy610

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 10:53:48 PM »
Otterbox... got it for 25 brand new so couldn't turn it down. I'm rough on phones so I always get a tough one.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Samsung Note 5, Huawei P8 Lite, Honor 5X, LeMax Pro 2, Huawei GX8

October 07, 2015, 11:11:38 PM
Reply #3

Offline megalomanic14

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 11:11:38 PM »
Those things are beasts

Mega

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

October 07, 2015, 11:41:53 PM
Reply #4

Offline Phone

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 11:41:53 PM »
Otterbox... got it for 25 brand new so couldn't turn it down. I'm rough on phones so I always get a tough one.

That's a pretty sweet deal, how much bulk does that add to the phone? Are those waterproof? Does it make the phone harder to use in any way?

I had a Sedio case with a kickstand and belt clip for my Note 2. I feel like it wouldn't protect as much from a fall as my Cruzerlite one I mentioned, but I still liked the case a lot and occasionally still swap it out every so often. Are the newer ones better in case of a drop? The Spigen I mentioned earlier is a soft TPU in a hard case, which sounds pretty nice. There's also some really cool ones that are part metal, but I'm not sure how much that would affect the signal on the phone.

October 08, 2015, 05:05:45 AM
Reply #5

Offline Scrappy610

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 05:05:45 AM »

That's a pretty sweet deal, how much bulk does that add to the phone? Are those waterproof? Does it make the phone harder to use in any way?

I had a Sedio case with a kickstand and belt clip for my Note 2. I feel like it wouldn't protect as much from a fall as my Cruzerlite one I mentioned, but I still liked the case a lot and occasionally still swap it out every so often. Are the newer ones better in case of a drop? The Spigen I mentioned earlier is a soft TPU in a hard case, which sounds pretty nice. There's also some really cool ones that are part metal, but I'm not sure how much that would affect the signal on the phone.
Not really. I mean yes it adds about 3-5mm to the edges but I consider it a bumper.  No unfortunately it's not waterproof. Doesn't really effect usability. They come with a built in plastic screen protector. I snatched that out and use a tempered glass one. It has flaps that cover the USB and headphone port so I don't have to worry about getting dust and crap in them. I also like the raised edge around the screen bezel. I can lay it face down, and do, and the screen won't touch the surface if it's flat. It's the only case I've found that will repeatedly survive slight drops and oops moments. It's a two piece hard plastic inside that snaps tight and then a rubber outer that you put on over the plastic. It is a bitch  to get on and off for battery/sim/SD changes cause of the tight fit but that's a good trade off for me. Also why I do most my stuff like that on the weekend. I'll post pics later when I get off

October 08, 2015, 09:43:07 AM
Reply #6

Offline gregma

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 09:43:07 AM »
I'm trying to find some great cases phone my Note 4, currently using the Tech21 Impact Tactical Case (http://www.amazon.com/Tech21-Impact-Tactical-Samsung-Phones/dp/B00Q6D7ICI) since the reviews seemed good and the price seemed fair. The main thing I don't like about it is how the buttons feel, they're too mushy. Other than that though, it's a pretty great case. I was thinking of getting a Spigen case with a kickstand since I has a similar case for my Note 2, but some of the reviews mention scratches on the metal around the phone. Maybe I'll just get a TPU Cruzerlite case like the one I'm currently using on my Note 2, it's saved my phone a couple times already, plus the buttons aren't mushy since they aren't covered. What's everyone else currently using on their phones?

I've always kept my devices in a Tech21 case!  It's survived drops from 15' onto concrete before.  Unfortunately, they don't have the smoke one I love for the N4.  I'm currently sporting a SUPCASE, I really like it!

http://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Full-body-Protective-Protector-Resistant/dp/B00MP3OWVI/ref=sr_1_6?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1444311730&sr=1-6&keywords=unicorn+beetle
--Greg

TWO Violations

TMobile - Note 4 [Powered by: PopRocks Rom V14XxXR: TW Rom Based On Tmo Stock LP Base Cod6: Extreme Speed/Snappiness/Battery Efficient]
TWRP Recovery

October 08, 2015, 09:44:42 AM
Reply #7

Offline gregma

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 09:44:42 AM »

Not really. I mean yes it adds about 3-5mm to the edges but I consider it a bumper.  No unfortunately it's not waterproof. Doesn't really effect usability. They come with a built in plastic screen protector. I snatched that out and use a tempered glass one. It has flaps that cover the USB and headphone port so I don't have to worry about getting dust and crap in them. I also like the raised edge around the screen bezel. I can lay it face down, and do, and the screen won't touch the surface if it's flat. It's the only case I've found that will repeatedly survive slight drops and oops moments. It's a two piece hard plastic inside that snaps tight and then a rubber outer that you put on over the plastic. It is a bitch  to get on and off for battery/sim/SD changes cause of the tight fit but that's a good trade off for me. Also why I do most my stuff like that on the weekend. I'll post pics later when I get off

Have you had any problems with that case scratching the silver edges of the phone?  I've heard that the hard plastic shell does that pretty badly.
--Greg

TWO Violations

TMobile - Note 4 [Powered by: PopRocks Rom V14XxXR: TW Rom Based On Tmo Stock LP Base Cod6: Extreme Speed/Snappiness/Battery Efficient]
TWRP Recovery

October 08, 2015, 10:33:25 AM
Reply #8

Offline Scrappy610

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 10:33:25 AM »

Have you had any problems with that case scratching the silver edges of the phone?  I've heard that the hard plastic shell does that pretty badly.
No none at all. Has like s soft rubber pad inside.

October 08, 2015, 09:36:29 PM
Reply #9

Offline Phone

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 09:36:29 PM »
I've always kept my devices in a Tech21 case!  It's survived drops from 15' onto concrete before.  Unfortunately, they don't have the smoke one I love for the N4.  I'm currently sporting a SUPCASE, I really like it!

http://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Full-body-Protective-Protector-Resistant/dp/B00MP3OWVI/ref=sr_1_6?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1444311730&sr=1-6&keywords=unicorn+beetle

That looks like a sweet case, I notice it covers the buttons, do they get that mushy feeling?

Which Otterbox do you have, I'm seeing like 3 different kinds. I'm guessing it's either the Defender or Commuter one, they both look pretty good, def gonna see about picking one up if I can get it for cheap like you did

October 09, 2015, 10:37:57 AM
Reply #10

Offline gregma

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 10:37:57 AM »

That looks like a sweet case, I notice it covers the buttons, do they get that mushy feeling?

Actually, no.  It's not like the tech21 as far as buttons go.  They are quite crisp.
--Greg

TWO Violations

TWRP Recovery

October 09, 2015, 11:18:10 AM
Reply #11

Offline Zug

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 11:18:10 AM »

Which Otterbox do you have, I'm seeing like 3 different kinds. I'm guessing it's either the Defender or Commuter one, they both look pretty good, def gonna see about picking one up if I can get it for cheap like you did
i have used defender and it does we.. however there is something to consider when buying otterbox nowadays... after you take the case off 1 or 2 times, the rubber from otterbox becomes loose and it doesnt quite fit like normal. i have stopped buying otterbox for this reason.. they are expensive to start and if you plan on taking off case more than once, you will regret it.. if you have no intentions of ever taking it off, then its a decent case.

just my 2cent

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Zug

LG V10 - Waiting on Mega's lovin
Note 4 on FK
Note3 on FK
Note Pro 12.2 Wifi on FK
Crap load of older ones!! :)

October 09, 2015, 02:48:43 PM
Reply #12

Offline Scrappy610

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 02:48:43 PM »

I use the defender myself, and that's a god point.  But I cheat lol, when it gets a Lil stretched around the corners, I'll put the case together without the phone and hit it with a blow dryer for a few minutes... seems to shrink and soften the gel up some. Sorry guys was busy last night. Pics coming up shortly.

i have used defender and it does we.. however there is something to consider when buying otterbox nowadays... after you take the case off 1 or 2 times, the rubber from otterbox becomes loose and it doesnt quite fit like normal. i have stopped buying otterbox for this reason.. they are expensive to start and if you plan on taking off case more than once, you will regret it.. if you have no intentions of ever taking it off, then its a decent case.

just my 2cent

October 09, 2015, 03:47:43 PM
Reply #13

Offline Scrappy610

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 03:47:43 PM »

I use the defender myself, and that's a god point.  But I cheat lol, when it gets a Lil stretched around the corners, I'll put the case together without the phone and hit it with a blow dryer for a few minutes... seems to shrink and soften the gel up some. Sorry guys was busy last night. Pics coming up shortly.

just my 2cent

If you look close at the inside of the case you can see the rubber pad that actually supports the device and keeps it centered and off the plastic itself. Also I forgot this is the only case I saw that didn't block the flash heart rate monitor thingy. It also came with a belt holster the clip can be turned to use as a kickstand. I just don't really use it

October 10, 2015, 02:20:23 PM
Reply #14
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 02:20:23 PM »
I'm partial to cases that protect my screen, so I lean towards flip type cases.
I've had Otter's and they do a good job if you're gonna drop it off a building... so long as the screen doesn't hit anything.
I've dropped a phone from my lap and had the screen hit my chair roller and break.   
Build material and size are also important.
Cases with large or sticky outer surfaces don't work well when the phone moves in & out of my pockets.
I want full access to buttons, pen, USB and don't want to pull the phone from the case and find damage from what was supposed to be protecting it.

I was in a rush to get protection when I got the phone & made the mistake of buying the ($45) S-View cover from the store.  ::)
I was disappointed that the case is plastic (I prefer leather) but the S-View features seemed kind of cool... turns out the only thing I really used it for was to check the time.   
My phone is either in my hand, pocket or open on my desk for full screen use.
Full screen beats less than half IMO... I will admit to liking the auto screen on on opening.
What finally wore me out was the plastic see through screen constantly leaving a blurry/greasy residue on my screen from the plastic outgassing. 

I ended up with one of these in black and would like to get one in vintage Italian leather if they'd make it.

eBay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151629117400
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:24:17 PM by catseyenu »